The decision to move to a retirement village is life-changing. You should always think about the amenities, safety, and other aspects. They play a crucial role in making retirement villages NSW suitable accommodation. When you decide to move and look for a retirement village, do the following:
- Inform your family members and friends about the decision and consult with them, as it’s a significant step.
- You must also seek help from the government or private agencies, look for home help, or shift to a smaller home before you take the plunge.
- Consult a financial planner to manage your finances the best way possible.
- If you want to sell your home, check the present property rates.
- Check if someone you know is near the retirement village you plan to move to.
Here’s a look at essential steps which will help in making the correct choice:
Make a list of all the essential amenities and features you want in your retirement village. You should also make a separate list of other features you want but not something you need. The list helps in ticking critical criteria when finding the retirement village.
- Expert Advice
You must seek advice from experts or lawyers before you sign any papers. Take the retirement village contract to lawyers or financial advisors, and get their opinion before signing it.
- Consider Options
Never settle for the first retirement village you explore or visit. Consider at least 2-3 options and get into the details. This will enable you to make an informed decision.
- Never Give in to Pressure
It is good to take time and contemplate. Consider the pros, cons, and every other aspect before choosing a retirement village in NSW. Don’t give in to any pressure or make a hasty decision you will regret later.
Tips To Compare Retirement Village
Visit as many retirement villages as possible that fit your budget and location criteria. Ask the same questions and queries to all of them.
Ask about the standard factsheet when you explore each village. This enables you to compare differences and similarities in their offerings. The village should provide the same on request by law.
Talk to the present residents and ask about their experience in the village.
Compare, and review the villages’ contracts thoroughly before you make the final decision.
Questions To Compare Retirement Villages
- Is there a waiting list for the retirement village?
- What are the policies regarding parking, visitors, and pets?
- Is there a conveyance facility like a bus?
- How close are amenities such as a hospital, shopping facilities, entertainment, public transport, etc.?
- What is the policy regarding the maintenance of the property?
- How long after signing the contract and paying the money do you get the accommodation?
- Are there restrictions regarding the use of property in the village?
- Who will pay the cost of refurbishment?
- Are meals available? Is there a common dining area?
- Does the village offer additional assistance with cooking, cleaning, and other personal services?
- What is the cost of leaving the village, i.e., exit fees?
Consider all the tips mentioned above and suggestions to find one of the best retirement villages NSW. Especially review the contract as retirement village contracts are different from other properties. Seek advice from legal experts to stay aware of your rights and prevent fraudulence. Choose a home away from home! Make your second innings of life pleasant, safe, and enjoyable.